August 19, 2010

Dudley Do-Right

A couple friends and I went to Grand Teton National Park for a long weekend. If I said it looked just the same as the time I went when I was 11 I'd be lying. Or, maybe it wasn't so much that it looked different as I looked at it from a different perspective: from the top down!
space
One of my favorite French expressions is: Pourquoi j’irais voir d’en bas ce que je connais déjà d’en haut?
space
Choosing the high road isn't always easy, but it sure is worthwhile. No, I'm not talking about the moral high road, like Dudley Do-Right would. I'm talking about altitude. Although my attitude toward altitude wasn't dramatically altered by some former Grand Teton Jenny Lake Rangers we hiked with on Monday. It's a wonder anyone could move that fast ... and the youngest one was 67. 
space
I thought we were going up the trail in Death Canyon and ten off to the north on the Alaska Rim  Trail ... oh, no!  Irene (70) heads off-path about 15 minutes up the trail and proceeds, directissima, up the three hammagogs toward the mountain summit!
space
Inspirational!
space
Why would I wish to see something from below that I already know from above?
space
.

No comments:

Post a Comment