August 09, 2010

Better on Two Wheels

I’ve owned five motorcycles in my young lifetime, and I can honestly say that life is better on two wheels. I wasn’t so fortunate to have learned to ride as little tyke, so at the ripe old age of 15 I offered my dad $100 for his one-owner 1970 Suzuki TS250. He was going to give me the bike as a present for achieving my Eagle Scout, but I had stalled out at the rank of Life Scout. Growing impatient to learn to ride I did what any red blooded American boy would do: I took matters into my own hands. And by “matters” I mean the throttle and clutch.

My family lived on about 4.5 acres just outside of Waco, Texas … wait, what does this have to do with staples? Trust me, we’ll get there. Anyway, we had plenty of land, so I took the bike out in the field and before long I was speeding in and out of the trees, over the bumps and ruts, etc.

Riding Hwy 1 a couple years ago
It was way beyond fun. Now I’ve ridden bikes all across the western states, as well as in Haiti, Ghana, and Egypt. To this day few experiences in life can compare with being on two wheels. That’s not to say I don’t own a four-wheeled vehicle. I do, it’s a Jeep and just happens to be in Egypt.  I know, Egypt, right?!  Why do I have a jeep in Egypt? Long story, and one for another time, but what this means is that the entire One Hundred Staples project is riding on two wheels.

Me on two wheels = good.

One Hundred Staples project on two wheels = bad.

So, the number one priority right now is to trade one or more of the staples into a truck. With a truck I can move bigger and better stuff … like a travel trailer. With a truck and a travel trailer, I can then make exchanges ALL over the world!  Ok, not the world, but certainly a larger part of it.  So, the real question is, which staple will I try to trade up to a truck?

We’ll see.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment