August 27, 2010

Divorces and Diamonds

Pretty sure I commented on this before, but I'm excited about a new and slightly random bit of trading. This time it's actually coming to fruition. It started with a staple, then some books, and more recently wool. I got 163 skeins of yarn and a digital camera for my two volume set of Umpublished Revelations of the Prophets and Presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are a somewhat rare set of books, but still, not bad, eh?

And now a friend of mine was interested in 36 of those 163 skeins. No prob, Bob. No, her name isn't really Bob, but let's just call her Bob for the time being.

So Bob picked out the skeins she wanted, and while she's a rather phenomenal photographer she wasn't sure what she wanted to trade me for those skeins. Perhaps some original prints? Or not, because I'd be tempted to keep them. Well, as we were talking with a lawyerly friend of mine also present at the time of the skein-versation, we hit on something interesting ... my lawyerly friend wants to learn to make felt. Felt is made from woven wool, like my yarn.

The lawyer wants the felt-making lessons.  The photographer wants the wool yarn. And I want a divorce.  You see where this is going?

First off I need to say one thing: I'm not married. I don't need a divorce. I'm actually opposed to divorce on general principle as I find it's often a bi-product of selfishness. Yet, because there is an appropriate place for it in society, I find myself willing to both trade for a divorce, and to trade it on to someone who actually needs it. The details are yet to come, but it will essentially be a coupon for one no-fault divorce in the state of Utah.

And what does someone trade who wants a divorce coupon? An engagement ring, of course! (Thanks for the suggestion "M") Yeah ... so that's what I'm shooting for: an engagement ring all full of diamonds. Then I'll have had an engagement ring, and a divorce, but never have been married.

Too fun. Way too fun.
.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant... trading it for a ring... its brilliant I tell you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're on to something here. Perhaps. Very much so.

    ReplyDelete